good harware monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

good harware monitor

Postby Rifter on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 am

what program can i use to see my temps(CPU, northbridge) and fan speeds from my mobo? thanks!
Rifter
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: good harware monitor

Postby Ripose on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:15 am

Try sensors-applet with lm-sensors and hddtemp
All 3 are in Synaptic.

You will need some kind of rough idea about what your temps currently are. This will help eliminate confusion until you get sensors-applet temps relabeled. So reboot your computer go into BIOS and find the current temps. Exaample your BIOS might show CPU 42 C So when you start Mint and look at temps you will know which temp (1,2 3 etc.) is the actual CPU temp.
Ripose
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rifter on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 am

how do i look at the temp in mint? ive only been using linux for the last couple hours and really have no idea what im doing, thanks for your help.
Rifter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ripose on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:36 am

Hi Rifter, sorry :oops: I should have said that after you install the packages, right click your taskbar, click "Add To Panel", in the popup list you should find an entry for "Sensors-Applet", click on it and then click the "ADD" button. :)

When the sensor temps appear on your taskbar, right click on one of the temps to bring up the sensors preferences menu, this is where you can change the labels, temperature corrections etc. :)
Ripose
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rifter on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:52 am

i have installed the listed packages and a few others it said were required as well when i selected the sensor-applet. when i go to add to panel There is no Sensors-Applet option , there is a hardware sensors monitor that says it lists fan speed and CPU temp in the discription but when it loads it says no sensors found. My bios is reporting all temps are ok and fan speed is ok but it would be good to be able to monitor this from in the OS. Im open to all suggestions.
Rifter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ripose on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:58 am

This should help, I found it in my notes: :oops: I'm getting forgetful in my old age. :?
Install:

1. sensors-applet
2. hddtemp (will ask if you want to run at startup) Yes
3. sensord
4. lm-sensors

Right click panel --> click Add to panel, Scroll down and click on Hardware Sensors Monitor

A single sensor should appear that probably reads 40 C

In a terminal type sudo sensors-detect
Answer YES to ALL questions
Exit Terminal

Reboot --> Enter BIOS --> Find your hardware monitor stats, take note of the temps as they will guide you in determining which temp is what in the sensors applet display.

Right click on sensor icon, click Preferences, click on an item, click properties, change Sensor Value Multiplier so temp changes to what what you saw in BIOS.

Change the label from Temp 3 to CPU or whatever matches your system.
Ripose
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rifter on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:12 am

thanks ALOT i got it working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rifter
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ripose on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:40 am

:D
Ripose
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions