how do I apt-get upgrade?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

how do I apt-get upgrade?

Postby kaykav on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:13 am

Howdy,
I need an explanation of this error message :
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

How do I eventually upgrade? Come to think of it, what am I upgrading ,exactly? Is it my already installed programs or mints' repositories?
and when I apt-get update, what am I updating ? I never did know. Thank you....Rich
kaykav
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how do I apt-get upgrade?

Postby proxima_centauri on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:38 am

That error usually pops up when you have another instance of apt-get running, such as Synaptic Package Manager or the Mint Software Manager.

MintUpgrade should tell you when you need updates.
EDIT: MintUpdate, not MintUpgrade.
Last edited by proxima_centauri on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby elija on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 am

When you run "apt-get update" you are pulling down the latest list of software in the repositories.
When you run "apt-get upgrade" you are applying updates to your installed software.
When you run "apt-get dist-upgrade" you are applying updates to your installed software including the system.

It is probably better to just use the MintUpdate program (looks like a padlock in the system tray).

The error message you are receiving is usually issued when something else is working with apt that might be another terminal session installing, synaptic beng open or MintUpdate working.
less is more, but more more than more is, so more is less less, so use more less if you want less more, more or less.

Read my blog at the Fifth Continent
Over 50? Visit the Saga Zone
Registered Linux User: #459086
elija
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Alex56 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:34 pm

I had the same error message after my connection was lost during a previous upgrade. To fix it I went into the package manager and went to Edit --> Repair Broken Packages (or something like that). Of course, your problem may be different may be different, but this may help.

-Alex
Alex56
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Make sure no other applications are using APT (synaptic, mintUpdate refreshing itself, mintInstall installing something..etc). Eventually, remove the file /var/lib/dpkg/lock yourself.

Code: Select all
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/lock

By the way, you can type "apt upgrade" instead of "sudo apt-get upgrade" and you should really use mintUpdate instead unless you're sure you want to get all available upgrades.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kaykav on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Thank you all...questions bring answers,answers bring knowledge and knowledge brings more questions............Rich
kaykav
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions