Suspend broke my system

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Suspend broke my system

Postby interfl0p on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:21 am

I put my desktop into Suspend last night and tried resuming it today. It wouldn't come out of suspend and just stayed at a blank screen so I restarted. I got a Grub Error 18, restarted, got a Grub Error 17, restarted, and finally got a Grub Error 16. I tried fixing my Windows MBR with fixmbr and it just goes to a blank screen when booting instead of showing the Windows XP flash. Ubuntu Feisty hanged when scanning disks to partition. What's the deal and what can I do?

I had a recently installed copy of Bianca installed.
interfl0p
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:48 am

Windows fixmbr is a dangerous tool if you dual (or in your case I suspect tripple) boot It overwrites the mbr completely with M$ idea of mbr.
But mind you MBR means Master Boot Record and you only have one for each hard drive so if XP goes blank and Feisty at least get started to scan disks....
We need more details:
How many hard drives have you got?
How are they partitioned?
Where was grub installed? If you used the default setting it's in the MBR of the disk with "the lowest number".
What happens if you start from the Bianca or Feisty live CD? Most likely you will be able to boot from that and then make repairs. (and you need to be really careful here)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
Unfortunately suspend does mean things sometime
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby interfl0p on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:34 pm

I really don't mind ruining my dual boot system. I have one hard drive with 62 gb for windows and 14 for mint. Grub was installed on the one drive I have. I can boot from a Feisty or Bianca live disk but as soon as it starts scanning my main hard drive it starts acting funny. It'll stop and hang sometimes. Other times it'll hang when the installation starts.

Also Windows now gives me a Disk Read Error so I'm reinstalling it. I believe this happened before when I had Bianca installed but I wasn't sure what caused it. Apparently my setup doesn't like Suspend and kills my whole hard drive when I try resuming.

If you can help me through instant messaging my screenname is interfl0p
interfl0p
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am

I'm afraid that your file system has been damaged with the errors you receive.
Can't help you more just now as I have a power outage and my UPS wont last much longer
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:14 am

Power is back
Try to run fsck and see what you get. fsck may be able to fix your problems
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions