Move to Deleted Items Folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Move to Deleted Items Folder

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Does anyone know exactly how this works? I have written a small script to securely delete stuff from the deleted items folder once it is already there. But if you right-click on a file and select the move option, is the file:-

1. Physically moved within the filesystem to the deleted items folder?
2. Physically copied within the filesystem to the deleted items folder?
3. Left in situ , but marked as deleted, so it appears only in the deleted folder and not in the normal directory listing?

In the first 2 cases - the file will presumably still exist in plain-text somewhere in the filesystem and the only way to delete it would be to overwrite all the free blocks in the filesystem?

I have already suggested in the suggestions part of the forum that we have new functionality to allow for the secure deletion of files and directories.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Move to Deleted Items Folder

Post by Husse »

Case 3
Files are never touched - it's only the "file table" that is rewritten - goes for Linux and Windows and I guess Mac too
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Move to Deleted Items Folder

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

I am not talking about the right-click and delete option here. So if I delete using the right-click and "Move to Deleted Items Folder" option, then I need to be sure that copies don't exist anywhere else on disk.

When this option is used, the files end up in the folder: ~/.local/share/Trash/files, and the question is whether an actual file move has taken place here, presuming that this folder is an
real folder (which it appears to be) and not a virtual one. Otherwise, how else do the files end up in this folder?

Return to “Beginner Questions”