Drive Check

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Drive Check

Postby Bobo-the-Cat on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:46 am

Periodically, when booting Linux Mint, the boot process is delayed while a Drive Check takes place, during which it checks all the blocks on the hard-drive. There is an option to skip this, but the next time you boot it starts again. In my view this is happening too frequently. As I am not aware of any drive errors; - so this is a routine check, is there a way of reducing the frequency of this check as it is a nuisance?
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Drive Check

Postby garda on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:36 am

Fsck checks ext2/3 partitions after they are mounted for a certain amount of times, as specified in their max-mount-count parameters. You can see the flags/parameters of an ext2/3 partition by executing this command:
Code: Select all
sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sd[alpha][numeric]

You can then use this command to change the value of the max-mount-count parameter:
Code: Select all
sudo tune2fs -c n /dev/sd[alpha][numeric]

Replace "n" with your desired value.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Drive Check

Postby distoaddict on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:58 pm

standard appears to be 27 boots as it just happened on my install today.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions