how to install themes(solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

how to install themes(solved)

Postby ganonspike on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi im pretty new and still dont know how to install themes. I download them from the theme site and the it gives them to me in a .tar format and when i try to drag it to my "themes" box in preferences it always gives we an error. Can anyone help me?
Last edited by ganonspike on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ganonspike
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to install themes

Postby pluraldave on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:45 pm

LM6 Felicia Mian edition?

They have to be tar.gz I think. When the theme hasn't been packed in the right format you usually have to either extract and repack it in the right format or extract it into your /usr/share/themes folder. Sometimes the archive you download will have multiple themes inside it and you have to unpack and then install the theme(s) you want. You generally have to work out what you're supposed to do with each theme as you download it as it depends what the author has done with it. If you post the link to the theme(s) you're trying to install someone should be able to tell you what needs doing with it.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ganonspike on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 am

oh it is a tar.gz file sry my mistake. but i just want to know how to install themes in general...i doubt it is a problem with packing or anything as ive tried multiple themes, could you just give me a general outline on how to install a theme. thx!
ganonspike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ganonspike on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 am

ganonspike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Newtoallthis! on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:00 am

Here's what I do:

Download the theme tarball to a directory of your choosing. I usually put mine in the download section. Right click it and then "extract here", then delete the tarball version. Access the folder and drag the titled subfolders into the theme section. To get the theme section up just click menu, preferences, appearance, then themes. Once you have dragged the right bits over (it'll tell you if you have) you can access these components via the tabs in the customize theme section. I hope this helps!
Newtoallthis!
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:55 am

If you're using the main version of Felicia and you want to install full themes, make sure they're GTK2+ themes. Main runs using Gnome desktop, and you have been trying to use KDE themes (KDE is another desktop that some Linux distros use).
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ganonspike on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 pm

ok thanks everyone for the help..i got it to work. I was trying to use kde when i have gnome desktop ><
ganonspike
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to install themes(solved)

Postby Kaye on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

I did the same thing when I first installed Mint :p I think it's a pretty common confusion. Glad you got it working.

-Kaye
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions