xorg.conf

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

xorg.conf

Postby dmakfan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:35 am

Hello,

I'm coming off of Ubuntu 8.10 and tried Linux Mint for the first time. I've been quite impressed so far!

But I have a question about video displays and resolutions. The machine I just loaded Mint on is a Shuttle K45, which has integrated Intel GMA950 video onboard. It looks like everything worked out of the box, except that I get some tearing with video. Apparantly, this is some kind of common problem with the Intel driver? Anyway, most recommendations on how to work around this, or to tweak the video driver at all, means fiddling around with xorg.conf.

I noticed in Ubuntu 8.10 as well, and therefore Mint, that xorg.conf doesn't contain the usual video settings I'm used to seeing in xorg.conf in earlier distributions. My question then is where is it getting the settings from? And how do I tweak the driver? I kind of like that xorg.conf looks a lot cleaner now, but I guess that means that there is some other conf file out there with all the settings hiding somewhere else on my system.

Thanks to whomever can explain this. And if anyone knows how to figure out where the tearing is coming from, that'd be appreciated too :)

Cheers!
Dave
dmakfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: xorg.conf

Postby Husse on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:17 pm

The present xserver is largely autoconfigured (and that happens at every boot) so there is actually no other setting
However most settings previously used still work
In you case I think adding Driver "intel" could be the starting point (in Section "Device" but I guess you know that)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions