ntfs and twinview - again :-)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

ntfs and twinview - again :-)

Postby dslacker on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:00 pm

OK - I am yet another newbie who has converted my secondary desktop to Bianca... - I'm impressed and all, and have finally got my nvidia 5600 to use the twinview option - however I use an old 15" lcdscreen as my primary monitor and its max resolution is 1024x768 while my projector looks best at 1280x1024 - as it is now the projector is an extended version of the lcd which means 2048x768. Can I either have a clone option in the xorg.conf or can I get the projector to use its native 1280x1024 somehow ?

Secondly i have 4 ntfs partiotions which turn up nicely after a new install, but each time I want to have write acces and either delete them from fstab in order for mintdisk to se them or try to enable rw in fstab they disappear...
what gives ???

Otherwise keep up the good work - if I get these two problems solved Im all honky-dory ;-)

OK -later I might have some questions regarding local network with my XP-machine but one (hmmm might be two...) thing at a time :-)
dslacker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes you can have your projector to do 1280x1024 but that will require you to manually change the xorg.conf file and set each monitor to the desired resolution.

you cant have mint disk and fstab manage the ntfs disks.
dont put them in the fstab.
I should check this myself as i have seen a few posts about it.

maybe a search of the forums...

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Boo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:24 pm

check out this post for ntfs stuff.
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... tfs&t=1655

:D
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

yeah - hmmm

Postby dslacker on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:54 pm

As for the ntfs post I've also read that and understood it as such that if I want mintdisk to handle it I "just" have to delete evrything about the ntfs drives in fstab - so I did that and they still dont appear... as for the -3g optiion what does that actually mean ? - I found another post that said something about a rw option ?

Re the screen - Yes, thats what I thought, but how :-) - The way i got the twinview was to just do a sodu "something-nvidia" - twinview.
When I look in the xorg.conf it doesnt even mention a second screen...
Reason why I am fumbling around in the xorg at all is that the first two times I installed I got the Nvidia gui, but there was nothing in it about twinviev, so now Im trying the "CLI" way and at least it got me a sort of working twinview - I just want all the bells and whistles ;-)
dslacker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:23 pm

could you post your xorg.conf file?

the twinview may be expecting both monitors to be the same so it only needs to reference one monitor for its specs.

:)
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Make sure to check the content of the mintdisk log file in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintDisk/mintDisk.log it should tell you what went wrong.

Also in /etc/fstab you need to DELETE (not just comment out) all references to ntfs partitions and occurences of these partition names. Because mintdisk doesn't care whether it's commented out or not, and it won't mount:
- partitions which name appear in fstab (even as a comment)
- partitions that are already mounted
- external partitions

If you really can't make mintdisk work you can install ntfs-config, it will also work with external drives but it's not as configurable and just acts as a configuration frontend to fstab.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions