XFCE updating, advantages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

XFCE updating, advantages

Postby el_b on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi,

I'm a beginner to Linux, and Mint. Is the XFCE community edition just the main edition with the XFCE desktop env, or does it have other stuff?
Also, can I just upgrade it over Felicia 6 Main (what I'm running now, full, NOT mint4win), or do I have to backup and reinstall all over again?
And finally, does XFCE have more bugs? Does it have more options?

Thank you :)
bill_g >/dev/null
el_b
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XFCE updating, advantages

Postby el_b on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Bump?
bill_g >/dev/null
el_b
Level 2
Level 2

Postby viking777 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:26 am

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_xfce_whatsnew.php

This might help a bit.

If you were to install xfce4 onto your existing Mint install (so you had the choice to load either DE), I doubt it would look much different from the CE edition, but it would be a lot 'heavier'. I don't know if you can upgrade from one to the other. As for bugs well I don't have any more but that will probably depend on your hardware and what you want to use it for. Does it have more options? - No it doesn't, they are about the same I would say, it is just that the ones in Xfce are a hell of a lot easier to find than in Gnome. :)
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby el_b on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm

bill_g >/dev/null
el_b
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions