Mint KDE 2.2 Live Install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint KDE 2.2 Live Install

Postby Repack on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:10 pm

I have a 2 drive system, "multi" booting into Ubuntu 6.10, Feisty, Mint 2.2 (GNOME) on 1 drive (sata) and XP on the second drive (ata). I wanted to try to install the new KDE version in place of the present Mint 2.2 I have because I tried the live version (full) on DVD. I start the install and get to the partitioning and get no choices when I select manual, just a blank box instead of the Gparted screen. I have tried 2 new downloads of the full DVD and 2 new downloads of the lite version, (all from diferent sources BTW) and still get the same problem. I retried the original Mint 2.2 and it would get to the screen properly . I searched Mint and Ubuntu forums to no avail. I'm frustrated, I liked what I saw on the KDE live Mint.

Any ideas?
Repack
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby telic on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:54 pm

I liked what I saw on the KDE live Mint

I advise you to partition your HD using one of the other distros. Or use the GNOME Mint LiveCD, and stop the installation process after the partitioning is done. Then boot the KDE Mint LiveDVD to install into that new partition.

I too had a multi-boot setup, until an (attempted) installation of KDE Mint damaged the boot. Its partition utility is not to be trusted, IMO.

Do back up your important files before trying the install!

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Repack on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:51 am

I hard a partitioned drive to begin with, I even went out and delete the partion I wanted to install into and the KDE partitioner could not find it, so what I have ended up doing was let it atke the whole disk then used Super Gparted after to partition the disk the way I wanted. Brute force work around, I'd say. seems as if the KDE partitioner wants to be the first part on the drive it is going onto, that's abug in my book.
Repack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby telic on Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:11 am

I even went out and delete the partion I wanted to install into and the KDE partitioner could not find it

That sounds something like what happened with my HD. The KDE partitioner acted like it couldn't see the free space that I had just made available. But when I tried to let the KDE partitioner take the remaining free space, it scrapped my boot.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions