Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby brockers on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi all,

First of all, WOW what a distribution! I've been using Gentoo for servers for a while but thought I'd look into something for desktop action - and Mint has certainly blown me away!

Anyway, I'm typing this as a Linux Mint guest machine thats installed on a XP Host running VirtualBox 2.1.4. I've got the guest additions installed and everything is running perfectly... but I cant seem to enable Compiz effects. After a bit of reading I built the machine with Hardware Acceleration turned on and assigned 128mb of video ram. I've also assigned a gb of ram for it too.

The host spec is:

E8400 clocked to 4.2Ghz
4gb of 1066mhz Ram
ATI 4850 GFX card.

Anyway, is there anyway to enable 3d effects etc for the Linux Mint guest box? I cant duel boot it as the host is running 2 drives in a 0-stripe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - and thanks to the developers for a distribution that has such an excellent "feel and flow" to it.

thanks

Brockers :)
brockers
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby muse5187 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 am

VirtualBox doesn't support full blown graphics. Same reason you can't play a graphic intense game on virtualbox.
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby brockers on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 am

Sound mate, thanks. Need to get something sorted though! I'm loving the mintyness.
brockers
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions