Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby brockers on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi all,

First of all, WOW what a distribution! I've been using Gentoo for servers for a while but thought I'd look into something for desktop action - and Mint has certainly blown me away!

Anyway, I'm typing this as a Linux Mint guest machine thats installed on a XP Host running VirtualBox 2.1.4. I've got the guest additions installed and everything is running perfectly... but I cant seem to enable Compiz effects. After a bit of reading I built the machine with Hardware Acceleration turned on and assigned 128mb of video ram. I've also assigned a gb of ram for it too.

The host spec is:

E8400 clocked to 4.2Ghz
4gb of 1066mhz Ram
ATI 4850 GFX card.

Anyway, is there anyway to enable 3d effects etc for the Linux Mint guest box? I cant duel boot it as the host is running 2 drives in a 0-stripe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - and thanks to the developers for a distribution that has such an excellent "feel and flow" to it.

thanks

Brockers :)
brockers
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby muse5187 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 am

VirtualBox doesn't support full blown graphics. Same reason you can't play a graphic intense game on virtualbox.
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 6 as guest on XP Host - VirtualBox

Postby brockers on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 am

Sound mate, thanks. Need to get something sorted though! I'm loving the mintyness.
brockers
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions