Dual Boot Help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyed

Dual Boot Help

Post by mintyed »

I know there are quite a few posts about this already. I need some specific help related to my system so am posting this.

i have a Pentium 4
with 512mb DDR ram
1.6 gig processor
40 gig ide HDD (win Xp)
160 gig sata HDD with pci card adaptor (Linux Mint - LM)

I would like to dual boot my system so i dont have to keep plugging in each drive separately each time I want to use each opp system.

LM is my main system but my ide drive boots first if both plugged in.

I need to know how to put the boot sector from my LM system into my XP system so i can solve this problem.

any help would be appricated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Dual Boot Help

Post by merlwiz79 »

You should be able to set which hard drive to boot in the BIOS.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

merlwiz79 wrote:You should be able to set which hard drive to boot in the BIOS.
not on my machine as the sata drive running from a pci card. and the ide HDD is always the main.

my comp is stated above. does not have a boot from PCI card in it so I cant.

i need to Dual boot my machine so i can access both systems from one start up screen. I did state that above, did i not.
bobv

Post by bobv »

I it can be done but it will take a little work. You first need to see how your partitions are refered by gparted. Plug them both in and boot with the gparted live CD. from there you can see how they are refered. Next you will need to install grub and most likely edit the grub menu.lst file. see this article for a full read http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthre ... post861282

good luck :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”