Help! Why is my install so huge, and how can I trim it?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Help! Why is my install so huge, and how can I trim it?

Postby rlindsey0 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 am

I've been running Mint for about a year, and Felicia since it came out. I dual-boot with Windows. I have a partition of about 21 GB for Mint, then a Data partition of about 80 GB that I mount in /home. I also have an external HDD where I keep MP3s and photos. I've already cleared out residual config files from Synaptic and have done an autoclean from terminal.

Recently, on looking at GParted, I noticed that my main partition is almost full--almost 20 GB is used, with "only" about 1.88 GB left. I'm at a loss to understand how my install could have ballooned from something that could be compressed onto a CD to nearly 20 GB. I've installed some programs in the main partition, sure, but nothing that could account for this.

I occasionally get the kernel panic and high CPU usage problems (huge activity by dd and klogd, according to top) outlined in other threads on this forum. (It seems this problem may have something to do with my 4965AGN wireless and the 2.27.7-7 kernel. I'm not sure how or whether to upgrade to 2.27.7-11.) Anyway, I'm wondering if somehow some humungous log files are getting written that eat up my space. Could this be the case, and if so, are those files (if I can find them) safe to delete?

I haven't done an exhaustive sweep yet, but so far, the biggest culprit seems to be /var, which totals 6.8 GB, and specifically /var/log, which totals 6.2 GB all by itself. Within /var/log, I see things like kern.log.0. messages.0, and syslog.0, each of which is 2 GB. Can I kill these without fouling up my system?

Even if I delete all these, my system still would be at around 12 to 13 GB. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Richard
Olivia 15 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 7 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, USB 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help! Why is my install so huge, and how can I trim it?

Postby atlef on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 am

In the accessories menu, choose Disk Usage Analyzer and take a gander at what is eating your space.
Screenshot-Disk Usage Analyzer.jpeg
Screenshot-Disk Usage Analyzer.jpeg (192.39 KiB) Viewed 398 times

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rlindsey0 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 am

atlef wrote:In the accessories menu, choose Disk Usage Analyzer and take a gander at what is eating your space.

atlef.

Thanks, that's very useful! I had overlooked that application.

It does seem that the most egregious space-eaters are those enormous log files in /var/log; everything else seems sort of explainable (like the 312 MB in my Downloads folder, the various fonts i've installed, or the many MB associated with the latest OpenOffice).

I also appear to have some 2.26.7-11 kernel stuff under /usr/lib, even though I was unaware of have installed any such (it doesn't appear in GRUB. But that's < 100 MB anyway.

Any idea whether those log files in /var/log are safe to delete?

EDIT: I've read that there is a utility called logrotate that seems as if it might be able to help. Has anybody ever used this to alleviate this kind of problem? (The answer may seem obvious to you ... but this is posted in the Newbie subforum for a reason! :mrgreen: )
Olivia 15 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 7 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, USB 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rlindsey0 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Well, I deleted those big log files, and lightning hasn't struck me down yet, so I guess it was safe.

In an attempt to avoid having the problem again, I applied this patch, which I found after much searching:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/52

It was pretty easy, after uninstalling the backports module. We'll see if it helps in the long term.
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions