Driver Problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Driver Problem

Postby Leo Dragonheart on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Ok quickly here is my problem... I am right now on a Mint Live CD because my Mint install upgraded and now I have a rt2500usb driver installed and I can't connect to the net with it. I need to know how I can revert back to or download the rausb0 driver so I can connect to the net again.... also is there a way that I can keep Mint from updating this driver in the future...? Thanx for your assistance...!!!

I use a Linksys Wireless usb adapter that I know works fine with the rausb0 driver...
Leo Dragonheart
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Driver Problem

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Most likely was caused by the kernel upgrade.
You'll need to redownload and compile it again.
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/S ... Linux.html
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Leo Dragonheart on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:06 pm

I thank you for the information but I have no clue on how to do what you said.... ;-(
Leo Dragonheart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Windows has these things called "drivers". Linux has these things called "kernel modules". They're roughly analogous. Roughly.

Thing is, a given kernel module is really only good for the corresponding kernel. Upgrade the kernel, and the modules associated with it also need to be upgraded. Sometimes this doesn't happen automagically.

So you have two options:
1. use the new kernel, and fix the kernel module yourself.
2. continue to use the old kernel, despite the "upgrade".

You can nip ALL of this in the bud with Mint if you simply do not upgrade your kernel. Rarely is a kernel in Mint anything better than a lvl3 upgrade. Usually they're lvl4. Only lvl1 and lvl2 are recommended. So you upgraded your kernel, something that wasn't recommended in the first place, and now you have problems. Yeah, that was predictable.

Reboot. From the grub menu, arrow down two entries and press enter. Don't upgrade the kernel unless you know what you're doing.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Leo Dragonheart on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 pm

AK Dave wrote:Windows has these things called "drivers". Linux has these things called "kernel modules". They're roughly analogous. Roughly.

Thing is, a given kernel module is really only good for the corresponding kernel. Upgrade the kernel, and the modules associated with it also need to be upgraded. Sometimes this doesn't happen automagically.

So you have two options:
1. use the new kernel, and fix the kernel module yourself.
2. continue to use the old kernel, despite the "upgrade".

You can nip ALL of this in the bud with Mint if you simply do not upgrade your kernel. Rarely is a kernel in Mint anything better than a lvl3 upgrade. Usually they're lvl4. Only lvl1 and lvl2 are recommended. So you upgraded your kernel, something that wasn't recommended in the first place, and now you have problems. Yeah, that was predictable.

Reboot. From the grub menu, arrow down two entries and press enter. Don't upgrade the kernel unless you know what you're doing.

Thank you for your response and for explaining it so I could understand. I will take your advise and just boot two entries down until I learn a little more about what I am doing. Thanx again for your assistance... :D
Leo Dragonheart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 pm

This doesn't always work, but I swear by it. Dell developed a kernel module service that is supposed to be pretty good at figuring out when your kernel has changed and updating relevant modules. It goes by the cryptic name of "DKMS". You can install it easily from the command line:

sudo apt-get install dkms

It doesn't work recursively, but it can be useful heading forward from here. It is pretty much a requirement for running Virtualbox on Ubuntu or Mint, so it is always one of the first additional packages I install.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions