main version versus 64

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

main version versus 64

Postby sseipel133 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 pm

I have linux mint x64 version. I ordered that because that is the kind of processor I have. I was reading about the different versions today in the introduction to linux mint. What really is the difference between the main and x64 versions? Would the main version be less prone to freezing up and losing internet connections like this viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23827 ?
sseipel133
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: main version versus 64

Postby rivenought on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 pm

My experience with Mint 6 is that the 64-bit version has been exactly what my hardware likes. I have had no problems at all since installation. My hardware specifications are in my signature, so you can see I have modest resources. I am confident you will have similar positive results, as well. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: main version versus 64

Postby tdapple on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 pm

It's hard to say...it depends on your hardware. I started with 32bit and things we're fairly buggy for me. Everything is smooth as silk for me with 64bit though.
tdapple
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions