Software versions - within Synaptic vs on Web

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Software versions - within Synaptic vs on Web

Postby qaskari on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:38 am

Hi there! I noticed that the versions of software/packages available through Software Manager/Package Manager are different from what is available from the Software's own website. Example: GNOME Do (0.6.1.0 vs 0.8.1). Example: Amarok (1.4.10 vs 2.0.1).

Can I just download and install the latest versions from the sites? Or do I need to stick to what is available in the Software/Package Manager? There seem to be some features not available on the installed versions.. Example: GNOME Do does not have the "Docky" theme in the installed version...

Thanks in advance for the answers/guidance.
qaskari
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software versions - within Synaptic vs on Web

Postby DataMan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 am

The version that is available in the repository is generally safe to use in the desktop-kernel version that you are running. You can certainly download and install direct from the site. Be forewarned, that you run the risk of potentially breaking things in your ops with an "up" version.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Software versions - within Synaptic vs on Web

Postby voidnull on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:35 pm

The versions of software available in the repository, are generally a little older than the latest versions of the software found on the software's website. The version in the repository is usually thoroughly tested, and in some cases, optimized for maximum compatibility with the distro version. The latest version of a software might take some time to make it into the repositories.

Though you can always install the software directly from the site, it is usually not recommended to do so, for reasons like not adequate testing performed for your platform etc.; however, if it absolutely required that you install the latest version, I would recommend installing it from the source. You would atleast get better performance and access to hidden features, which might sometimes not be available with the ones in the repositories.
voidnull
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions