basic advice?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

basic advice?

Postby mIDNITE on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:19 am

Hi folks
just a basic question really I am new to Linux having just installed Mint to see what all the fuss is about it seems ok
my problem is I cannot mount a flash drive or an external drive I have followed the steps as given @linuxforums.org
but with no success so can anyone tell me the idot proof steps to take?
my thanks in advance
Dennis
mIDNITE
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: basic advice?

Postby shane on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 am

Normally you should be able to just plug it in and it should mount and open the file browser for you.

What version of Mint are you using? i.e. Felicia or Elyssa... and is it Main (Gnome), KDE, XFCE or Fluxbox?

Any other details you can give will be helpful.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby dlkreations on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Another question would be if you're using these drives with a Windows machine as well? If so, are you disconnecting them properly? Meaning, are you clicking the icon in your system tray in Windows and choosing to safely remove the device?

That will sometimes prevent Mint or any other Linux distribution out there to mount the drives properly without force mounting them.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mIDNITE on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi thanks for the replies
Duh my basic error thank you for explaining what should have been obvious problem solved again my thanks
Dennis
mIDNITE
Level 1
Level 1

Postby badmotor on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:36 am

You should edit the thread title to read [SOLVED] at the end.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions