Keyboard stops working when in Firefox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Keyboard stops working when in Firefox

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello!

I just installed Mint beside Windows XP on my laptop, and am very impressed so far. However, there is one problem: the keyboard. Whenever I boot into Mint, everything goes fine, I can type, do stuff, etc., but when I open Firefox, after a couple minutes, all of a sudden I can't type! The mouse seems to be OK, but not the keyboard. And when I try to launch an administration panel like mintUpdate, it thinks for a bit and then tells me it "couldn't grab your keyboard" and then goes away. Something about a malicious client or a focus change. And then, after that, no matter what I do, no matter what expletives I yell, no matter how hard I bang my head on the keyboard (OK, kidding on that one :D), it refuses to work. The only thing that works is Fn+Up/Down to brighten/darken the screen. I'll close Firefox, show the desktop, do all sorts of things, but nothing works.

It's funny, really, because out of all the Ubuntu "flavors", Mint is the one that I really like, and it's the only one that has that problem. I searched in the forum and on google, but didn't find anything helpful.
Any help is appreciated :)
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboard stops working when in Firefox

Postby ModShoot on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:51 pm

does firefox stop working in that time or just the keybored... can u still click links and stuff...

if firefox does "hang" and u cannot press links with the mouse and stuff. there is a good chance it could be a "adobe flash 10" problem... i have been having the same issue for some reason. beyond that it could be the keybored and mint dont like each other :D

good luck in finding a fix :D
ModShoot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 pm

Firefox doesn't stop working, and I can still click links and stuff. It's just the keyboard. Even when I close FF, it still doesn't work.
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ModShoot on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 pm

i dont mean to insult with this next question...

are you sure that you dont have the special laptop key lock turned on. I only know this from giving support on windows systems. and you would be suprised how many people end up with most keys not working cause of the Fn key.

other then that have you tried doing a reinstall of firefox and checking it does work on other browsers.. and then after that check your keybored localisation settings...

if its still not working you will have to download a alternate browser, and post the laptop make on these forums and see if anyone else has the same laptop and if they do, if they are having the same problems as you. im new here myself. but good luck on sorting this out.
ModShoot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:52 pm

I installed Opera from the terminal, and it happened with that browser, too. And I don't think it's the keyboard lock, because after it stops working, I can't right click or drag and move windows, either. My laptop is a Dell Precision M4300.
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ModShoot on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 pm

strange.... hmmm if there is not popup about the ADOBE FLASH then maybe try posting in the hardware forums
viewforum.php?f=49

its a popular laptop so you should not have any problems finding someone with it. but good luck and sorry i cannot be more of a help.
ModShoot
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions