Intricacies of Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Intricacies of Linux Mint

Postby alexian on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:36 am

I'm a newbie to Linux Mint, not Linux. Been using Ubuntu for several years, and Debian for years before that.

I like to keep a fairly orderly package list. I have some packages installed that show up as "local or obsolete", but typically, I intended to install those. I also abhor needing to keep installed packages that are specifically marked as transitional packages. On the other hand, I like the secure feeling I get from keeping the base meta-packages of my current distribution installed. I recently installed the Elyssa Linux Mint XFCE and have upgraded now to Felicia. There's' some packages here that grate against the goals I've just indicated.

1) There are packages called "mintupdate-xfce" and "xfcemint-desktop" that are currently showing in my "local and obsolete" listing in Synaptic. Why? Why aren't these basic meta-packages in the central mint repositories?

2) Why does the xfcemint-desktop package depend on transitional package cupsys-driver-gutenprint? It should depend on cups-driver-gutenprint instead.

3) Why does the mint-meta-xfce package currently depend on anything compiz-related? I could understand a few recommends, but depends? I thought the xfce version was built to use *less* resources. Why depend on installation of such a tool that demands *more* resource use?
alexian
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Intricacies of Linux Mint

Postby alexian on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Answer for 1b) & 2) -- Looks like xfcemint-desktop is actually replaced by mint-meta-xfce. I missed that part. So, for Intrepid / Felicia, xfcemint-desktop should actually be removed.
alexian
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions