Why does this keep happing ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbsre

Why does this keep happing ?

Post by gibbsre »

An error occurred during the backup: tar cvWf home_20090401151452.backup --exclude='Network' * .adobe .bash_history .bash_logout .bogofilter .cache .config .dbus .dmrc .emerald .esd_auth .evolution .fontconfig .gconf .gconfd .gksu.lock .gnome2 .gnome2_private .gnupg .gstreamer-0.10 .gtk-bookmarks .gvfs .icons .kde .linuxmint .local .macromedia .mcop .mcoprc .mozilla .mozilla-thunderbird .mplayer .nautilus .openoffice.org2 .profile .pulse .pulse-cookie .purple .qt .recently-used .recently-used.xbel .smb .sudo_as_admin_successful .themes .thumbnails .wapi .wine .xine .xscreensaver-getimage.cache .xsession-errors --> 512

Seems I can never get Mint backup to work error free.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbsre

Re: Why does this keep happing ?

Post by gibbsre »

gibbsre wrote:An error occurred during the backup: tar cvWf home_20090401151452.backup --exclude='Network' * .adobe .bash_history .bash_logout .bogofilter .cache .config .dbus .dmrc .emerald .esd_auth .evolution .fontconfig .gconf .gconfd .gksu.lock .gnome2 .gnome2_private .gnupg .gstreamer-0.10 .gtk-bookmarks .gvfs .icons .kde .linuxmint .local .macromedia .mcop .mcoprc .mozilla .mozilla-thunderbird .mplayer .nautilus .openoffice.org2 .profile .pulse .pulse-cookie .purple .qt .recently-used .recently-used.xbel .smb .sudo_as_admin_successful .themes .thumbnails .wapi .wine .xine .xscreensaver-getimage.cache .xsession-errors --> 512

Seems I can never get Mint backup to work error free.
Gee I figured someone would know something about this. Guess not.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Why do you want to exclude all those folders starting with a dot? They're your configuration files and if you were to do a restore without them it would be the same as doing a fresh install. The .mozilla for example contains all your bookmarks. The .emerald contains all your compiz theme choices. I could go on but do you see the point? You _need_ these configuration files; don't exclude them.
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
gibbsre

Post by gibbsre »

locutus wrote:Why do you want to exclude all those folders starting with a dot? They're your configuration files and if you were to do a restore without them it would be the same as doing a fresh install. The .mozilla for example contains all your bookmarks. The .emerald contains all your compiz theme choices. I could go on but do you see the point? You _need_ these configuration files; don't exclude them.
Checked or unchecked makes no difference. It just happens that the one I posted I had checked to see if it made any difference. It didn't. The back up just doesn't work, THAT is why I posted to see if any one had any ideas, or similar results. I must be in the minority from what I see in replies.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Hmmm. I never tried Mint Backup because it won't backup my root directory or any other partition. I want one backup solution to do ALL my backups and restores. I use PartImage, after having tried many, many others.
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.

Return to “Beginner Questions”