Mint Menu Not Appearing On New Users

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint Menu Not Appearing On New Users

Postby Matthew Chase on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:49 pm

So, Ive attempted searching around on the forums for this problem but I couldn't find any similar posts. So unfortunately I have to swallow my pride and ask for help :)

I'm a relatively new Linux user. I know very little about commands and how to get anything done. I've generally computer savy, but that's in a Windows environment and I am well aware this is a whole different game (for the most part).

Anyway, cutting back to the quick. I recently installed Bianca (Full version). Actually after having made a few mistakes (like updating to Feisty, not using Envy to install Nvidia driver...) and a few reinstalls I've finally got my system up and running with drivers, stable.

The Problem
I created two new users for my father and sister to use on this computer as this will really be theirs (converting my family to Linux, one step at a time).

When they logged into their new account they (and I) were surprised to see no menu button. After a little playing around with the panel I was able to add "Main Menu" to the toolbar. But I couldn't get "Mint Menu" to appear. The one that says "Biance" with the little mint menu button.

Now i can get away with using the default menu, but its annoying. Especially since I don't get why it won't appear.

In one instance, I added it, it constrained the taskbar as if the menu item was there, new programs opened would appear with a very small taskbar entry, but the menu item wasn't there. I could click "delete" if I clicked in the area it appeared to be, but that's it.

Any idea why this is happening?

The installation account is fine. MintMenu is there. But any new account isn't.
Matthew Chase
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby n3v3rm1nd on Tue May 01, 2007 4:50 am

It seems to be a problem since version 2.0 of mintMenu. Yesterday I added Romeo repository to my sources list and today I can't add mintMenu anymore to the panel even though I tried all the gconftool-2 and removing stuff per Clem suggestions.I hope we can figure out the problem soon because even when reinstalling mintMenu the situation remains the same.
n3v3rm1nd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Tue May 01, 2007 6:54 am

I am using gnome mint and am using the romeo repos.
I just added a new user and the mint menu is there.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lars on Tue May 01, 2007 10:40 am

Hi Matthew Chase

Could you login with your fathers our sisters account open a terminal and type(or paste) "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py run-in-window" and paste the output here? This will help us to fix the problem. Thanks :)
lars
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Matthew Chase on Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Here is the output from my dad's user. Do you need the output of the other account too or is this fine?

Code: Select all
Loading plugin 'places' : sucessful
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py:147: GtkWarning: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkEventBox, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkEventBox can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkImage
  ImageBox.add( Image1 )
Loading plugin 'system_management' : sucessful
Loading plugin 'applications' : sucessful
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 612, in ?
    menu_factory(app, None)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 602, in menu_factory
    MenuWin(applet, iid)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 387, in __init__
    self.mainwin = MainWindow(self.toggle)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 53, in __init__
    self.PopulatePlugins()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 248, in PopulatePlugins
    self.plugins[plugin].do_plugin()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 623, in do_plugin
    self.do_applications_file()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 193, in do_applications_file
    TestForFiles( ".linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list" )
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/easyfiles.py", line 18, in TestForFiles
    file = open(os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("~"), filename),"w")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/dad/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list'
Matthew Chase
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lars on Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 am

hm... This normaly shouldn't happen and I can't reproduce that bug.

To fix the problem on your machine open up a terminal and type(or paste) "mkdir -p ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu". You will have to do this for each user where mintMenu doesn't work.
lars
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Matthew Chase on Thu May 03, 2007 2:57 pm

I went ahead and pasted this into the terminal. I received the following error...

Code: Select all
dad@nx-mint:~$ mkdir -p ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/dad/.linuxmint/mintMenu': Permission denied

Firefox also seems to keep crashing on exit when I logout from a user other than the original user I created. I know a different problem, but it seems like all of the users created after the original installation are not working properly.
Matthew Chase
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lars on Thu May 03, 2007 4:33 pm

ok, thats really strange. It looks as if the users dosn't have write permission in his own folder.

What does "ls -l /home" say?
lars
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Thu May 03, 2007 7:22 pm

permissions!

use a sudo to create them.
sudo mkdir -p /home/dad/.linuxmint/mintMenu

then you have to change ownership of them since root will own them.
(so for the dad home dir)

sudo chown -R dad:dad /home/dad/.linuxmint

look at your working home and change the permissions on these files/dirs to be the same as well using the chmod command.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Farlander.BOB on Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 am

Ok I was having similar problems and it took me a while to decipher this thread (i'm a linux noobie)

I noticed that most of the folders in my home directory for a new user were locked and owned by root. Had the same issue with the mint menu too. To fix i kind of followed steps posted by "boo" however you can streamline the fix.

you do not need the mkdir line as in my case this was purely an issue caused by the user not having access to their own home folders.

I fixed all the issues by typing the following line in terminal

sudo chown -R farlander:administrator /home/farlander
sudo chown -R username:group /home/farlander[/b]

then mint menu works and I have access to my home dir too :)
Farlander.BOB
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions