New to Mint not Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

New to Mint not Linux

Postby maprx on Tue May 01, 2007 5:53 pm

I installed KDE version, I update to 7.04 and it broke mint kde. I just install 2.2 gnome version. there are 85 updates and on the top of the update window it says upgrade to 7.04. Is it ok to update the 85, but not the 7.04. Or will the update of the 85 "security" updates, break mint????
maprx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue May 01, 2007 6:02 pm

the 85 updates are ok - but there is one update to X so you have to reinstall video drivers. Don't do the upgrade to 7.0.4 it'll give you problems if you're not really skilled. Even I would refrain :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby maprx on Tue May 01, 2007 6:05 pm

Husse wrote:the 85 updates are ok - but there is one update to X so you have to reinstall video drivers. Don't do the upgrade to 7.0.4 it'll give you problems if you're not really skilled. Even I would refrain :)

what is the x update? i don't want to reconfig x, its looks fine the way it is. when I updated kde, the display really looked bad
maprx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue May 01, 2007 6:28 pm

what is the x update

Don't remember exactly, but something with security - buffer overrun I think
if you've got ATI or nvidia you just use envy to reinstall
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions