going round in circles trying to get flash working in V6 KDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

going round in circles trying to get flash working in V6 KDE

Post by jasonwatkins »

Ok, i've returned to linux after a couple of years so i'm still kind of finding my linux feet again somewhat.

i'm trying to get flash working in firefox and not really getting anywhere and i'm starting to get a bit stumped.

What i've tried so far ..

In Synaptic : uninstalling flashplugin-nonfree and installing adobe-flashplugin
uninstalling adobe-flashplugin and re-installing flashplugin-nonfree
installing both
installing neither (obviously that won't isn't going to work ;)

searching these here forums for "flash problems" and trying ..

Code: Select all

apt-remove --purge -y flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper
apt-install flashplugin-nonfree
also downloading the .deb package directly from adobe, which is 'install_flash_player_10_linux.deb' and installing that. it tells me there is a newer version in the software channel, but i still try this one anyway.

searched these here forums for "flash" and went back 20 odd pages looking for a solution

( to prove it, this is the 1st link on page 21 of the search results :)

i've also tried ..

aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound adobe-flashplugin nspluginwrapper
and then

aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
and .. NOTHING works .. when I go to youtube, or try and play a game, i just get an empty square where the flash content should be. is it a case of me not seeing the wood for the trees ?

i seem to remember one solution for V5 of mint was to remove flash V10 and re-install V9, but then i've tried to look for version 9 of flash for linux and can't find one at the moment.

any help greatly appreciated .. thanks ..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: going round in circles trying to get flash working in V6 KDE

Post by jasonwatkins »

anyone?
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

i actually did manage to find version 9 of the flash plugin in an rpm file, so i installed alien to convert it to a deb package, installed that and still nothing
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

i've also tried uninstalling the ubuntu-restricted extras and re-installing the kubuntu restricted extras and still nothing works.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

jasonwatkins wrote:i'm trying to get flash working in firefox and not really getting anywhere and i'm starting to get a bit stumped.

... when I go to youtube, or try and play a game, i just get an empty square where the flash content should be. is it a case of me not seeing the wood for the trees ?
At the moment, I'm stumped too. I just installed the Gnome version of LM and YouTube pages just have a light outline of where the video should display. If I attempt to install Flash, of course Mint warns me that something in their own repository is available.

I'm sure my forest is as dense as yours, Jason.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

ddalley wrote:I'm sure my forest is as dense as yours, Jason.
heh :)

i think i have randomly stumbled across the cause - check this thread out
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

At the moment, I have no idea how that post helps me. I don't know either foxxytunes or XMMS or whether they are even installed.

I am working with a new Mint install and a whole bunch of things are not working - sound, especially.
The system audio "tests" work, after setting them output to OSS, but I don't get any audio output otherwise.

Return to “Beginner Questions”