Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

Postby taiyoko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

So, I finally got my video card to play nice (nicer?) with the Mint LiveCD by fixing a setting in the BIOS to look for the video card on PCI-E instead of PCI, and got Mint to install. Also, I just installed the proprietary ATI drivers that showed up as available on my screen and rebooted as it said to do, and it seems like my computer now just goes from GRUB -> black screen, no boot up sounds, no mouse pointer, nothing. Booting into Recovery Mode and using "Fix X" does nothing to help.

System Hardware Configuration:
AMD processor
2 GB RAM
500 GB HD, partitioned 400 Windows/100 Mint partitions
ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256 MB video card (PCI-E)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-1600 TV Tuner card

Edit:

Thanks to some extensive googling, I was finally able to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the vesa driver, stopped and restarted gnome, and my graphical interface works again! Now just to get it to work right as my ATI card instead of going all sideways...
taiyoko
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

Postby slider on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Code: Select all
sudo X -configure
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions