Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taiyoko

Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

Post by taiyoko »

So, I finally got my video card to play nice (nicer?) with the Mint LiveCD by fixing a setting in the BIOS to look for the video card on PCI-E instead of PCI, and got Mint to install. Also, I just installed the proprietary ATI drivers that showed up as available on my screen and rebooted as it said to do, and it seems like my computer now just goes from GRUB -> black screen, no boot up sounds, no mouse pointer, nothing. Booting into Recovery Mode and using "Fix X" does nothing to help.

System Hardware Configuration:
AMD processor
2 GB RAM
500 GB HD, partitioned 400 Windows/100 Mint partitions
ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256 MB video card (PCI-E)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR-1600 TV Tuner card

Edit:

Thanks to some extensive googling, I was finally able to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to include the vesa driver, stopped and restarted gnome, and my graphical interface works again! Now just to get it to work right as my ATI card instead of going all sideways...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Boots to black screen - Help! [Sorta Fixed]

Post by slider »

Code: Select all

sudo X -configure

Return to “Beginner Questions”