I have installed 7.04, now i find the forum

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I have installed 7.04, now i find the forum

Postby Standov on Fri May 04, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi all,
I installed Mint about 2 weeks ago now and before seeing the forums here I went and performed the 7.04 update in Synaptic.
My laptop still works with no problems and even ended up getting my Fn keys to work (sound, brightness, battery etc...) after the updates
When I found this forum, the night after the update, I saw the first postings saying 'Do not install 7.04'
Some people are saying it broke their Mint, but I have not found a posting on how to remove 7.04 from a working system. I might just have missed it.

As you can guess, being in the noob section, yep i'm a noob at Linux but I am liking it more than other new os's

By the way, GREAT job with this distro.
Standov
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat May 05, 2007 6:12 am

Well, if you don't experience any problems don't do anything. It's not that your computer suddenly will find that 2+2 is 6 :) but rather that some of the specific Mint apps stops working, among them Mint config.
So if you don't already have home on a separate partition, follow the advice in the wiki on how to move home to its own partition. When Cassandra, the next version of Mint, arrives in its stable version just make a fresh install. It will be simple as your personal files and settings are safe.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Standov on Sun May 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks Husse.
One thing I had found only yesterday is when I close the screen, Mint hibernates and won't wake up again, but as you said I am just going to wait for Cassandra and reinstall from there.
From what I have seen from this hybrid, I can't wait for Cassie to be released.
Standov
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions