Multi-fat, Linux, System Commander and boot problem solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Multi-fat, Linux, System Commander and boot problem solved

Postby Jan Zaslavsky on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:14 am

I have 3 os's installed - XP, Vista, Mac OS and using System Commander to choose one of them at boot time. SC using multifat to do this. I like this program, because it has several useful functions - users list, personal passwords for users, accessible os's list for each user and much much more. And i still want to use this program. So... when i installed Linux mint i had a problem to run System Commander. In linux mint boot menu i saw record only with XP os. Hmm... I restarted into XP and saved sector 1 on drive C to the file (512 bytes MBR). After that i booted into DOS from diskette and tried to restore MBR sector on drive C using checkmbr.exe program (this program is a part of System Commander package and it restore sector 0). No luck. I saw linux loader after restarting. Ok... I restored System Commander having started it setup. All my os's and SC are coming back :) Nice. So, what about linux ? I have added new OS in System Commander using saved file with linux MBR (menu named "new OS from MBR"). No luck again. When i select "Linux OS" from OS's list in System Commander XP is started :? Any suggestions ? Thanks and sorry for my bad English :)

PS:
Additional info. File system:

HDD1
Primary partition
Drive C. Fat 16. Multi-fat
Logical partition
Drive D. Fat 32. XP swap
Drive E. Fat 32. XP
HDD2
Primary partition
Drive F. NTFS. Data
HDD3
Primary partition
Drive G. NTFS. Vista
Logical partition
Drive H. NTFS. Data
Drive I. Ext2. Linux
Drive J. Linux swap
Primary partition
Drive K. HFS+. Mac Os

Pss: As i saw in disk editor - System Commander part was placed in sectors 5-6, not in sector 0. What does that mean ?

Psss: Does anyone have any suggestions how to install the Mint boot loader to the mbr on the first drive at HDD3 ?
Last edited by Jan Zaslavsky on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Zaslavsky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multi-fat, Linux, System Commander and boot problem

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 am

This is a question for System Commander - I don't have a clue as to how it works but it is supposed to handle Linux
It has a support section
http://eu.v-com.com/support/main_system_commander.html
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Jan Zaslavsky on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 am

Husse wrote:This is a question for System Commander - I don't have a clue as to how it works but it is supposed to handle Linux
It has a support section
http://eu.v-com.com/support/main_system_commander.html

Thanks Husse! But how to install Linux mint boot loader (grub ?) to hdd3 ? I mean i want to run Linux also without hdd1
Jan Zaslavsky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:27 am

But how to install Linux mint boot loader (grub ?) to hdd3 ?

That depends on if you do it when you install or if you do it later
When you install there is an option "Advanced" on the very last screen, just before you start the install
Later you follow the guide to repair grub in the wiki
hdd3 is now called sda3 and in grub it's (hd2,0) if you want grub in the MBR of that disk
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Jan Zaslavsky on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Husse wrote:
Later you follow the guide to repair grub in the wiki
hdd3 is now called sda3 and in grub it's (hd2,0) if you want grub in the MBR of that disk

Thanks Husse. This acticle in wiki was useful for me. Finally the problem was solved. It takes two weeks for me and
much free time... I have to much partitions and in my situation solution was not easy. I will describe the solution - may
be it will be useful for users with the same problem. You can see my disks configuration from this screenshot:
Ok, first of all i restored System Commander. Next i loaded mint from installation cd and did some simple steps from wiki faq:
Code: Select all
sudo grab
find /boot/grub/stage1

(hd2,6) in my case
root (hd2,6)
setup (hd2,6)

setup (hd2,0) was my first mistake

Second - we need specially file with MBR record created by program, called bootpart.exe http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm That is not copy of mbr from disk or pbr from partition. That is small microcode which called another bootloader.
--------
BOOTPART creates a 512 byte file which contains an image of the boot sector that loads the boot sector of the partition. After, this file is declared in C:\BOOT.INI (a text file used by the Windows NT boot menu). The boot sector itself comes from FDFormat and WinImage.
--------
Btw, saved first sector from HDD3 did not work for me in any case and any combination (my second mistake). Ok. I run bootpart without parameters:
Physical number of disk 2 : a2748510
12 : E:  type=c  (Win95 Fat32 LBA), size= 12289693 KB, Lba Pos=63
13 : E:  type=5  (Extended), size= 463515412 KB, Lba Pos=24579450
14 : E:  type=7   (HPFS/NTFS), size= 40957686 KB, Lba Pos=24579513
15 : E:  type=5   (Extended), size= 411047122 KB, Lba Pos=106494885
16 : E:  type=7    (HPFS/NTFS), size= 411047091 KB, Lba Pos=106494948
17 : E:  type=5    (Extended), size= 9510480 KB, Lba Pos=928589130

18 : E: type=83 (Linux native), size= 9510448 KB, Lba Pos=928589193
19 : E:  type=5     (Extended), size= 2000092 KB, Lba Pos=947610090
20 : E:  type=82      (Linux swap), size= 2000061 KB, Lba Pos=947610153
21 : E:  type=af , size= 12578895 KB, Lba Pos=951610275

"18" is a number for my linux partition. To save MBR in a file i wrote the command:
"bootpart.exe 18 LBA c:\linux.bin". I added linux.bin to my System Commander os's list. Now i'm able to load linux both with System Commander and NTLoader. And i'm happy :D
Jan Zaslavsky
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions