Creating Desktop Shortcuts

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Creating Desktop Shortcuts

Postby NrGx on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Hello there! I know this seems like a very mundane question but as a long time Windows user I just felt I had to ask lest I go insane using the menu all the time. I am using the standard version of Linux Mint 6 and I want to create a shortcut to my Internet browser (Firefox 3.0.3) on my desktop. In Windows I would usually just drag and drop it from the start menu; Mint is giving me a permission error. I tried the other way of creating a new shortcut by using the 'create new launcher' command but then I don't really know where Firefox is installed or how the directory structure works.

Thanks a lot for the help (I know this is probably a two second ordeal for most of you). Just as a final point, I have no clue how the terminal works so go easy on me please.

Thanks,

NrGx
NrGx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Creating Desktop Shortcuts

Postby muse5187 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:02 am

When you create a new launcher fill the Name and Command field with Firefox. Look into gnome do.http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NrGx on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 am

muse5187 wrote:When you create a new launcher fill the Name and Command field with Firefox. Look into gnome do.http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks for the prompt reply but I am still not 100% sure what you mean. Here is my unsuccessful attempt: http://i40.tinypic.com/smsj2f.png

NrGx
NrGx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muse5187 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 am

That should do it sans the correct icon.
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NrGx on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 am

Ok well now my launcher is correctly working as a desktop shortcut - thanks. Is there any way to change it to a more visually appealing icon (ie the Firefox one)?

Thanks,

NrGx
NrGx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:19 am

Browse to /usr/share/pixmaps and select firefox-3.0.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions