The integrated microphone does not work! I could not record.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

The integrated microphone does not work! I could not record.

Postby new@linuxmint on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 am

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my integrated microphone on my laptop. The sound is working properly. As I wanted to open the Sound Recorder under All Applications==> Sound&Video,
the pop up comes and says that I did not made the right configuration in the sound preferences. The Sound Recorder application did not open at all. I have activated all of the choices in
the sound preferences. I have rebooted the system. Now the Sound Recorder does open. but I still can not record. Maybe I have activated all of them but I still could not configure the right one. I have so many choices to choose.

Capture
Capture 1
DAC0
DaC1
Digital
Import0 Mux
Import1 Mux
Mux0
Mux1

Which one should I choose? How can I show which one is the proper one? Can I see it by using a command in terminal?

Please tell me if someone has the same problem. I am really sure that the microphone will work. I can make a call in skype. I can hear the voice from the one with whom I am speaking. but he can not hear me. I mean it must be a configuration problem.

Please tell me how I can troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance,
new@linuxmint
new@linuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The integrated microphone does not work! I could not record.

Postby slider on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:34 pm

If you are using ALSA you can type the following in a terminal:
Code: Select all
alsamixer

While in the terminal press F1 for the help menu. It will explain the controls.

For more in depth help run:
Code: Select all
man alsamixer
for the manual pages....
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions