xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

Postby digitallysick on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 am

When I press and hold the power button i get the pop up to suspend, shutdown, restart, etc. What is the terminal command to make this window appear with these options? As I am using awn manager and the default shutdown applet doesn't work
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

Postby viking777 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:51 pm

I don't honestly know if there is a command to make that window appear, there are separate commands for shutdown, reboot, suspend and the like (most of them are located in /sbin) but that is not what you want I think.

There is one solution that I know of and that is to switch desktop managers. I presume you are using the default Gnome, if you switch to Xfce (which is better btw :) ) then all you have to do is right click the desktop to be able to access a shutdown menu.

A workround that I can think of is to add another panel (auto hidden) at the top/side of your desktop and add a standard start menu to that.

I actually use both of these methods because as you say AWN, amazingly, doesn't seem to include a shutdown option.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby digitallysick on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:38 pm

i run xfce with the avant dock, im just looking for the command that brings up the screen to shut down, restart, hibernate, etc
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digitallysick on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 am

xfce4-session-logout

thats the correct command, so i have that in my awn dock
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions