xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

Postby digitallysick on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 am

When I press and hold the power button i get the pop up to suspend, shutdown, restart, etc. What is the terminal command to make this window appear with these options? As I am using awn manager and the default shutdown applet doesn't work
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: xfce , suspend, shutdown, restart command?

Postby viking777 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:51 pm

I don't honestly know if there is a command to make that window appear, there are separate commands for shutdown, reboot, suspend and the like (most of them are located in /sbin) but that is not what you want I think.

There is one solution that I know of and that is to switch desktop managers. I presume you are using the default Gnome, if you switch to Xfce (which is better btw :) ) then all you have to do is right click the desktop to be able to access a shutdown menu.

A workround that I can think of is to add another panel (auto hidden) at the top/side of your desktop and add a standard start menu to that.

I actually use both of these methods because as you say AWN, amazingly, doesn't seem to include a shutdown option.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby digitallysick on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:38 pm

i run xfce with the avant dock, im just looking for the command that brings up the screen to shut down, restart, hibernate, etc
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digitallysick on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 am

xfce4-session-logout

thats the correct command, so i have that in my awn dock
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions