Software Update Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Software Update Question

Postby jghall on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 am

I am fairly new to Linux I have been a Sun Solaris Unix User for years... I have Installed Mint 6 and like it alot, however I have one question... After I loaded the software, as suspected there are alot of software upgrades to be downloaded which I have no issue with... According to mint update I have 272 of them which is believable... My question is Mint Install Summary tells you some of the software cannot be authenticated, How do I verify that all the suggested upgrades are legitimate and not malicious??? I have tried searching the forums and the web for some of the individual file names with hit and miss luck, any help is greatly appreciated...
jghall
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software Update Question

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi

Welcome to Mint.

If you open mintupdate ( left click the padlock ) you can set the update preferences (Edit, preferences) so that only safe updates are installed. I have mine set to 3 safe packages, not tested but believed to be safe. If you want to be really cautious set it to 2.

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Software Update Question

Postby jghall on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 am

Thank you for the info, very helpful...
jghall
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions