USB problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

USB problem

Postby Salamancero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Somewhat on the verge on panicking here. It seems that after plugging in several usbs and my seagate external hard drive in MInt, windows xp cannot detect 'em anymore. Could use some help here. :(

Thanks.
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB problem

Postby viking777 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Did you unmount them before you unplugged them?

If not then I am afraid you can only blame yourself.

Run chkdsk on them from windows.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Salamancero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:19 pm

viking777 wrote:Did you unmount them before you unplugged them?

If not then I am afraid you can only blame yourself.

Run chkdsk on them from windows.

the usbs seem to work fine in linux and I was careful enough with them to unmount them before unplugging. Save for the seagate external hard drive, everything seems to work fine - except that the pen drives can't be read on windows anymore. I also, have another pen drive that I didnt use on mint not being able to be detected by xp. In regards to the seagate external hdd, I didn't see the usual icon so I pulled it out thinking that there was some kind of incompatibility. I hope I didnt indavertently wreck the seagate. Everything I've saved up til this point is there. :(
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Well if you have a pendrive that you haven't used on Linux that can't be detected by Windows then I would think you have a problem with Windows, not the pendrives. Anyway you can't damage a drive just by reading it from Linux, only if you unplug it without unmounting it first (Linux equivalent of 'Safely Remove Hardware'). If you have unplugged the Seagate without unmounting it first then it is possible you could have damaged it, but on the other hand if you saw no icon for it then maybe it wasn't mounted in the first place, in that case you are perfectly safe. Did you access the Seagate at all? (ie read from it or write to it?).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Salamancero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. Didnt get to read or write anything on to the seagate. The icon didnt appear so I assumed that Mint didnt detect it. I'll try my pendrives when I get to the office later.

This whole thing with the seagate is worrying. I dont mind the pendrives but the seagates has the bulk of my files, not to mention that its a bit costly.
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Salamancero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:53 pm

That was strange. I connected the seagate to a different user account and it works fine. I apologize for crying wolf on this one. Frakkin' windows nearly gave me a heart attack. :lol:

Thanks for the assist! :)

Just wondering now, how do i get Mint to recognize the seagate hard drive?

Again, thanks in advance. :D
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 am

It probably does recognise it, have you had a look in the 'Places' menu or opened your file manager and looked for it in there?

Alternatively (only a temporary workround this) plug it in and run

Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l

In a terminal.

It should show up as /dev/sdb1 or something like that (depends on how many drives and partitions you have)

Once you know what it is called you can mount it manually with

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/disk

But you will have to create a folder called /disk in /media first (it doesn't have to be called /disk you can call is anything you like). Also your filesysytem might not be vfat (fat 32) so check

man mount

If it isn't..

Don't forget to unmount it before you unplug it

sudo umount /media/disk
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Salamancero on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:22 am

Thanks again Viking. I'll give this solution a go when I get back. :D
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions