Is this okay for starters?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mipcar

Is this okay for starters?

Post by mipcar »

Ok, after much mucking around I now have this partitioning set up on my machine with Mint 6 installed and running. (as opposed to previous time of just doing a clean install)

I want to fine tune it so I can load other Distros for multi boot option whilst allowing them to all access common data, so regardless of which one I've loaded up I'll still see all my emails/pics/ whatever etc.

Currently partition are this: (on 160 gig drive)

/dev/sda1 Swap . No mountpoint but it shows flagged as boot.
/dev/sda2 extended inside of which is:

/dev/sda5 logical Ext3 mountpoint as /, /dev/ , static/dev no flag.

The balance is:
sda6
sda7
sda8 all ext 3 and when I loaded Mint It old it these were not available as I want to put my other distros in them.

Lastly about 40gig still unallocated which I assume I can allocate later?

Is this all okay for a starting point and Can I now put in another distro into say sda6 and tell it to ignore sda7/sda8 and will I need to tell it ignore sda5 so it does not overwrite it?

Mychael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Is this okay for starters?

Post by Husse »

Seems basically OK
need to tell it ignore sda5 so it does not overwrite it?
That only happens if you ask for it to be partitioned

Return to “Beginner Questions”