So Far So good.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

So Far So good.

Postby mipcar on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Only baby steps but I've managed so far to get one dual boot happening... Mint 6 Main edition Gnome & Mint 6 XFCE.

My "Old" Fedora version 7 worked but the latest one I downloaded has mouse problems.. Hmmmm.

I'm not putting any data into anything yet nor doing all the email setting up etc as I might still need to re-do everything but hey it's a start. :D .

As I mentioned in other posts, suggestions for fine tuning for cross data access between distros would be appreciated

Mychael
Always something to learn for those open to learning.
mipcar
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: So Far So good.

Postby DataMan on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 am

As I mentioned in other posts, suggestions for fine tuning for cross data access between distros would be appreciated

With respect to the data accessible across multiple ops, my recommendation is to set up one or more ext3 partitions to cover it. For example, I have dedicated partitions for:
Photos
Music,
Backups
Documents

All of the partitions are mounted via fstab in each of my available ops (4 linux and 1 windows at the moment :D ).

Once the partitions are established, just make sure you define them via the manual partition method in the install.

Also sounds like you might be ready for a dedicated GRUB partition. If interested, I've got a small paper that I've published on my website detailing the methodology (mine) for a dedicated GRUB.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: So Far So good.

Postby mipcar on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks D/man.
You will no doubt have seen my later post of problems.

Mychael
Always something to learn for those open to learning.
mipcar
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions