after portable updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

after portable updates

Postby ibm450 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:02 pm

hi all, i work away in the bush, remote area, and dont have access to the internet in my donger.

i am wondering whether it is possible to dl all the available linuxmint updates onto a cd/dvd for the new Felicia 6 kde, and run / install from the disc??

BTW great distro :mrgreen:
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: after portable updates

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 pm

I think you can tell mintupdate to only download the updates, then you can copy them onto disc and install them. Where they are downloaded to, however, I have no idea.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ibm450 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pm

OK
ill check it out, but this would be a handy option to be able to carry a service pack, so to speak, and install later or even after a fresh install of a given distro - abit like windows service pack 2 and 3 that you can dl and install at any given time. would it be to much to ask to look into this feature for some one in the community to compile?

:o
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ibm450 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Old Marcus wrote:I think you can tell mintupdate to only download the updates, then you can copy them onto disc and install them. Where they are downloaded to, however, I have no idea.

any1 know where it gets downloaded to, please advice its location.... :D
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions