Extending the swap partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Extending the swap partition

Postby Salamancero on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi,

I've been having a great time with Linux Mint these past few days. Haven't used my laptop for work since I haven't gotten down to installing Microsoft Office 2007 via Wine but my personal computing needs is more than taken cared of. :D Now, I noticed that my system is a bit sluggish. While my laptop is no spring chicken (Celeron M380), I was wondering if I could boost the performance. I did the guided installation and I don't recall being prompted with the swap file. I have 2 gigs of ram installed and I heard that you need twice your ram for your swap partition to get optimal performance from the system. Right now, my swap is only 1.5 gigs. I was wondering if there is a way to resize the swap partition; or if not, add an additional swap partition. Don't want to re-install Mint again because I've settled down already and would like to keep my files that already here. Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!
Last edited by Salamancero on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Extending the swap partition

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Salamancero,

1.5 Gig is plenty of swap for your system. It will not help you to increase your swap size. If you have any desktop effects turned on, turn them off. That will help your speed.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Extending the swap partition

Postby Salamancero on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 pm

thanks Fred!

That was a face-to-palm moment. :)
Salamancero
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions