Will it be possible to upgrade to 3.0 without reinstall?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Will it be possible to upgrade to 3.0 without reinstall?

Postby contents on Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to linux, and looking for a really simple distro that I can install on a couple of friends' machines. They're both XP users who have never used Linux. It has to be really simple, because I'm moving and am not going to be around to help them out for very long. Mint looks very promising to get them started.

I see, though, that the latest Mint is based on ubuntu 6.10, and you're in the midst of making a new version that will be based on 7.04, which is already out. Once Cassandra is finished, will it be possible to upgrade it through the software updater? Or will a reinstall with the new version be required?

I have seen on the board that a message comes up in Mint 2.2 now telling people that they can update to 7.04, but that Mint users should not do that. Once Cassandra is finished, will there be some unambiguous message for users that it IS ok to upgrade at that time? I am thinking that my friends are probably not going to be looking at the forums that much if at all, and I'm just wondering if they're going to be able to know when to update/upgrade and when not to.

Will it be possible in the future to have some Mint mechanism that gives a message to users telling them when NOT to upgrade something that's only for ubuntu?

Thanks much
contents
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Tue May 08, 2007 2:17 pm

the distro upgrade message is something (I hope) will surely be fixed as it can easily be considered a serious bug in mint...

As it was mentioned before it will be possible to upgrade from bianca to cassandra, but I stress out that there will be nothing wrong with bianca for quite some time - there is no rush to upgrade immediately... bianca will continue to work just fine...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby contents on Tue May 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Hvala, Lord Vader NiksaVel! :wink:

Sorry to have asked a question that had already been asked (I did try to search, but didn't do a very good job, I guess). I appreciate your quick response.
contents
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Tue May 08, 2007 3:23 pm

anytime :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Dawn on Tue May 08, 2007 4:28 pm

i use now KDE....

does an upgrade to Cassandra handle that.
Or is it just for Gnome....

Normally i use Kubuntu, but i switched to Mint KDE.
I like it more... Are the main programs useful for KDE ?

I started with Mint (gnome) 2.2
But i like KDE from the start. I'm using KDE sins 1998
I can't switch to Gnome anymore.

Is there hope for me, or do i have wait for an KDE version.

GR Jan
Mint 2.2 /Sabayon 3.26
Dawn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Tue May 08, 2007 5:39 pm

you can
a) wait for cassandra KDE
b) install Cassandra and add KDE desktop from the repos (or mintInstall?) :) :D say it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a simple KDE adition package (sorta like kubuntu package).... instead of the whole new distro version...
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions