Linux Mint 6 Booting Slow

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 6 Booting Slow

Postby keygiwawah on Fri May 01, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm running mint 6 on a virtual machine, and it seems to boot abnormally slow. At first I thought the virtual machine wasn't supplying enough RAM, but now I have set the VM specifications to provide plenty of RAM and disk space. I think it is just mint itself. Are there any reasons why it would boot so slow?
keygiwawah
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 6 Booting Slow

Postby shane on Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 pm

1. Are you running it as a Live CD? (even if from an ISO image on your hard drive). Installing in the virtual machine will improve performance. If you don't want to install, at least create a swap partition on the virtual drive.

2. Remove any virtual hardware on the virtual machine that you don't need... e.g. Floppy drive.

3. Make sure only what you need is started at boot. This means disabling services e.g. CUPS (for printing), Bluetooth, etc... This is configured with the Services tool. Also disable unnecessary programs that are started at login by the user e.g. evolution (email client), compiz (effects), jockey (hardware detection), etc.

4. If it is still slow for you, maybe you might want to try one of the lighter editions of Linux Mint... XFCE CE or Fluxbox CE.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby dlkreations on Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Have you tried burning it to a CD and seeing if it boots slow that way?

Also, does Mint run slow once it is fully loaded?

By the way which version of Mint are you using? Are you using VirtualBox, or VMWare?

Also what hardware are you running this on?

Just a few questions to get a little more specifics from you.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby keygiwawah on Mon May 04, 2009 1:05 pm

I am unable to burn it to a CD.
It runs a little slower than it should when it's running, but not too bad.
Linux Mint 6 Felicia.
VirtualBox
Using emachines with only 1 GB RAM
keygiwawah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Mon May 04, 2009 1:19 pm

The only thing I can think of is that you're running your system with 1gb of RAM which may not be enough to run both your host and guest operating systems. My only other questions are what OS are you running as the host, and have you tried any other distributions and got the same results as well?
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby keygiwawah on Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

My host OS is Vista, and I tried ubuntu but it would freeze a lot.
keygiwawah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Unfortunately running Vista with 1gb is pushing it. Vista really needs to have at least 2gb to run decent. This is probably why you are experience such slowness. Even running Fluxbox or Xfce would be pushing it.

You mentioned that you cannot burn it to a CD; do you have a USB stick that is at least 1gb in size? If so, you may have the option of using Pendrive Linux that will allow you to put Mint 6 onto a stick and boot from it this way. It's quite easy to do by following the instructions.

Then, if you want to, shrink your Vista partition and make room for Mint.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby keygiwawah on Tue May 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Would the Pendrive only be able to store the operating system?... Because I have a 4GB and a 8GB, and would like to use the 8GB and still be able to store data on it.
keygiwawah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 pm

That I am not too sure on since I only have a 1gb stick. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to though as long as the data is in its own folder.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby keygiwawah on Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Ok thanks I'll try that out

I'm fairly new to this forum and I don't know if there is a "Thanks" Button... So Thanks
keygiwawah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't think there is either, but you're welcome.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions