Some network questions...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Some network questions...

Postby mnec20 on Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi y'all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:

I have 3 machines at home under the same internet router. The first one has the dreaded Windows Vista installed on it, the second one has Jaunty Jackalope and the third one is a notebook connecting through wifi running the lovely Felicia.

What I want to do is stablish a network between them that works like a simple microsoft network. In short, all machines being able to share printer and folders. What packages should I install on my Linux machines to accomplish this and how should I go about configuring? I know it's a RTFM kind of question, but I'm getting dizzy from all the stuff available in the synaptic package manager regarding this and I just don't know if the network will function the way I'm planning using samba or its million variants.

Any help will be much appreciated.
mnec20
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some network questions...

Postby AK Dave on Fri May 01, 2009 6:00 pm

You want to use Samba (cifs/smb) network sharing for all three computers as it is the most compatable with all three. Primarily due to the inclusion of a single Windows computer. The details should all be in the wiki, but if you run into any specific trouble just chime in.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Some network questions...

Postby altair4 on Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 am

I'm going to focus on a single phrase in your original post and take it literally:
works like a simple microsoft network

You might want to look at a Howto I wrote on "Simple File Sharing in Mint 6"
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
Since Mint and Ubuntu share the same base this process should work for both ( as long as your using Gnome ) and is conceptually identical to the "Simple File Sharing" that is used in Windows. Everything you need is installed already as part of the base install. It does come with some restrictions so it depends on how sophisticated you want the network. This will allow the other machines to access shares on your linux box.
NOTE: If you've done research on Samba the process I've described above will seem a little odd. After you create your share , for example, you will not find an entry for it in /etc/samba/smb.conf. That's because the share is defined in var/lib/samba/usershares. All of this is explained in the HowTo.

Accessing Windows shares from Linux is another story. It's been my experience that this is where most of the problems arise. Hopefully you can go to Computer > Network and it will find everything automatically but sometimes it doesn't. If you've configured your router to give all of the networked computers a static IP Address this will help if there are problems.

You don't need samba to have a networked computer access a printer installed on a linux box, you can use CUPS Server: Menu > Administration > Printing > Server > Settings
Select "publish shared printers connected to this system"
Then Menu > Administration > Printing > Right Click on your Mint Printer > Select "Shared"
NOTE: You may have to open a terminal and type: sudo service cups restart just to make sure CUPS has all the new information.

To access that Linux printer from Windows use the "Add Printer Wizard". You can either browse for it or add it directly using \\192.168.0.101\HPMint for example

To access a Windows printer from Linux: Menu > Administration > Printing > New > Windows Printer via Samba > Browse.
If it can't find anything you may have to fill in the dialog box, for example: smb://192.168.0.100/HPWin

EDIT: There one more scenario I forgot in my original post.
To access a Linux Printer from another Linux box: Menu > Administration > Printing > New
If you're using Mint it should find it automatically after it does a network scan.
If not then select Other > In the Enter URI box enter: ipp://192.168.0.101:631/printers/HPMint
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions