How can I get my audio drivers working?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How can I get my audio drivers working?

Postby mikeylevy804 on Sun May 03, 2009 4:24 pm

I have a creative X-fi Xtremegamer sound card, and it worked just fine in ubuntu. I switched to linux mint yesterday, and I generally like it much better, but my audio drivers do not work at all. On ubuntu, I used these exact drivers http://support.creative.com/downloads/d ... adId=10792. Considering mint is based on ubuntu, I figured they should work no problem. So I downloaded them, installed them, and they don't work. I went to sound preferences and set all of the options to Creative ALSA Driver X-fi Waveout/Wavein (OSS). And upon clicking "Test", they all made the sound indicating that they were working. But for some reason, whether it be that I'm trying to watch a video online or play World of Warcraft, there is no sound at all. What's really strange to me is not only that the tests all work, but when I turn my computer on and it gets to the mint login screen, it makes the login sound. It gets even weirder. When I play a song off a CD, it works just fine. When I play a song off my hard drive with totem movie player, no sound. When I play the same song with rythmbox, it works, but there is wretched and awful distortion throughout the entire song. What is causing my drivers to misbehave like this and how do I fix it/is there a 3rd party alternative of some sort? I would really hate to have to switch back to ubuntu over this.
mikeylevy804
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How can I get my audio drivers working?

Postby mewtwo064 on Sun May 03, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm having this same exact problem, except I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. When I listen to music it sounds horribly broken up and distorted (It isn't just music though, any sound that plays, even the log on sounds and notification sounds in Mint are really broken up). I can plug my speakers into my on board sound which is ATI chipset based and sound works perfectly. I would like to be able to use my SB card as I am dual booting with Win XP and Linux Mint and use the Audigy card in windows for certain applications. Any help would be appreciated!
mewtwo064
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions