Firefox lag

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firefox lag

Postby mannie on Mon May 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Hey. Since I've switched to Linux Mint (coming from Win) I'm mostly happy. Apart from a few annoyances I've been able to solve with some help from friends I have one issue that I still can't solve. Firefox is very slow/laggy when scrolling pages ..especially when displaying long ones with lots of pictures and text. I'm using the latest Linux Mint version, packages are up to date and I have the nvidia commercial graphics driver installed.
Is this a known problem and is there a solution?

Thank you very much in advance and tell me if you need more information about my hardware or software configuration.
mannie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox lag

Postby k0tuk on Tue May 05, 2009 7:54 am

I had the same problem when i was using Mint. Correct me if i`m wrong, but that`s not a Firefox issue, it`s Nvidia drivers that suck. I`ve got a 8600M GT myself. Take a look at Powermizer value in nvidia-settings ( install them from synaptic if you don`t have them yet). I bet that your value is 0 or 1. It means that driver is "sleeping" when you browse internet, because the powermizer thinks that you don`t need any acceleration and it switches your card to a power-saving mode. Also flash on some pages "kills" the performance, constantly "hanging" your browser.

The only solution i found for this issue is to lock the powermizer in a higher level (which also raises the temperature of the video card up by 5-7 degrees ) and install a flash-blocker plugin for firefox.
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions