Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

Postby the lemming on Sat May 12, 2007 4:26 am

Hello

Having only played in a Microsoft world I am all too aware of hackers, viruses and spyware.

Now that I have decided to move over to Linux Mint do I need any kind of protection while surfing?

I only ask as I went to a site which tested for vulnrabilities and it got me wondering as I had failed some tests.

Cheers
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Sat May 12, 2007 4:33 am

no, here is why:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e-firewall

and welcome to the free world lemming!
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sat May 12, 2007 6:59 am

You don't need anything, but if you want to be on the super safe side, install a firewall. Just search in synaptic for "firewall" and look at the list.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby NiksaVel on Sat May 12, 2007 7:02 am

firestarter for gnome and guarddog for KDE seem to be the most popular solutions - I've used them both and they are super-easy... extremely light no resources.... come to think of it they take up NO resources since they are only GUI frontends for configuring IPtables - which is an integral part of linux :)
and of course no annoying popups of any kind...

I've tried both and decided I have no use for it.... been using bianca stable since it was released (well ... almost since it was released) :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Do I need a firewall and antivirus stuff?

Postby scorp123 on Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 am

the lemming wrote:I only ask as I went to a site which tested for vulnrabilities and it got me wondering as I had failed some tests.
Can you please give more details about this? What site and which test did you fail? You have to be cautious with such sites, especially if they belong to a vendor of anti-virus software and such. Even though you are probably perfectly safe such sites will try to make you believe that you absolutely need their products ... :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions