Gparted & df -h Report Different Disk Usage [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Gparted & df -h Report Different Disk Usage

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, You should also compare with the File Systems tab on System Monitor. I have just checked, and my install shows similar results. The only column that is significantly different is the "Available". The gparted available in my system matches the "Free" column in system monitor, so I suspect they're measuring different things. Gparted will be looking at actual inodes and disk-level info to determine how much is free, whereas df will be looking using the filesystem tools themselves, and system monitor does both. The actual difference between the numbers is pretty accurately 5% of the whole partition size. The fact it's so accurate reminds me of a feature of ext partitions, where a certain amount of diskspace is reserved for root usage, which I believe is set to 5% in ubuntu. So finally, the actual usable space would be that reported by df and the available column in system monitor. If I ever nearly fill my data partition, I'll likely tweak the amount reserved, as it's 10GB on a 200GB partition, but thankfully I've only used about 80GB. Hope the detailed explanation helps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”