Why can't I get on the net?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the lemming
Level 1
Level 1

Why can't I get on the net?

Post by the lemming »

Hello

I'm experimenting with Linux mint Live CD on my laptop and PC before I install them.

At the moment my laptop will happily connect to my wireless router from the Live CD.

For some reason I can't do this with my PC. I managed it this morning but the entire system froze and I could not hit any key strokes or mouse clicks. I could not even move the mouse pointer.

Earlier on I could enter the networking to enter my WEP key and mow I can't even do that.

Anybody know why or how I can get onto the net with my PC?

It may help to mention that I also had problems trying to install ubuntu. I had a very frustraiting 48 hours and found that that distro was exceptionally unstable on my PC.

Cheers

My Router is a D-link DI-524
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316

And my network card is a belkin wireless network card F5D7000uk
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=136479

My PC details are

AMD 64 3400+ processor 2205MHz
2gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Graphics card
1 DVD Re-write drive
1 DVD Read only drive
2 Hard Drives 112GB
2 External Hard Drives (USB)
Belkin 802.11g wireless card model F5D 7000uk
Medion TV-Tuner 7134 MK 2/3

I hope somebody can help me solve this little problem.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

what no reply yet....

first are you using Bianca or Cassandra beta?

I would have thought your pc would have been more stable than the laptop (with the exception of the wireless card).

is the pc stable without the wireless network?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Beginner Questions”