mint 7 wont run on my laptop when mint 5 did

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timerep

mint 7 wont run on my laptop when mint 5 did

Post by timerep »

hello wonder if anyone can advise out there I have a compaq m700 laptop that ran mint 6 fine but when you try to load mint 7 the mint log comes up and the progress bar appears then 10 seconds later the whole thing is dead just stuck and I have to pull the plug to get out. for what Ive seen mint 7 is really good but just cant seem to run it. The very same thing happens if I try to load ubuntu 9.04 which mint is based upon. The log appears the progress bar also then 10 seconds in and its all stop. have tried to disable the splash screen as some one sugested but no joy cant run the live cd or do an install with either? can someone help many thanks timerep.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: mint 7 wont run on my laptop when mint 5 did

Post by revdjenk »

timerep,

Welcome!!!

Remember, Mint 7 is a Release Candidate, it is not finished. It is not meant for your primary machine. Also here are the System requirements:

A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.

I just did a quick look at the specs for your laptop. You should be able to install if you have at least 512megs of ram. If you have less than this, try to boot several times in a row. If this still does not work, you might be happier with the Mint 6 XFCE or Fluxbox editions, which work with less ram:
# x86 processor
# 128 MB of system memory (RAM)
# 2 GB of disk space for installation
# VGA graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution

I installed the XFCE edition on a neighbors' old machine with only 256megs of RAM, and it works quite handily!

God Bless
Doug
timerep

Re: mint 7 wont run on my laptop when mint 5 did

Post by timerep »

thanks mate will give that a go, linux over windows is great so would be really nice to see this all working yes the machine is 512 mb of ram and 1 gig cpu so should be ok ran mint 6 just fine as it did ubuntu 8.10 it has internal graphics memory of only 8 mb but works ok would love to see this old machine up and running as its too good to scrap. So Linux is the answer, as it will run windows xp pro but with the anti virus thats obligatory its so slow you could knit a whole jumper wile you are waiting for thing s to happen. many thanks for your help so far kind regards time rep

Return to “Beginner Questions”