Kind of a weird wireless question....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Kind of a weird wireless question....

Postby wookietim on Sat May 16, 2009 11:37 pm

I just installed KDE 4 on my Linux Mint system. It seems to work better on my system and uses a lot less resources (And looks nicer than Gnome)... But when I do a cold boot directly into it, it seems that my wireless networking doesn't start. If I log out, log into Gnome and then log out of gnome and back into KDE, it works.

I don't get it... Could some one talk me through fixing this? Treat me like a complete idiot - I have no idea where to start looking into this...
wookietim
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Kind of a weird wireless question....

Postby chad1 on Sun May 17, 2009 11:14 pm

Hey there, sounds like you don't have 'knetworkmanager' installed or its not set to run at startup. Check out the program 'Wicd'. Its a pretty kick a$$ wireless gui.
Code: Select all
apt-get install wicd

Then go to System--> Preferences--> Sessions (or Startup Applications) and select it (Wicd)
chad1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wookietim on Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 am

That was what it was - thanks for the heads up!
wookietim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Mon May 18, 2009 5:15 pm

NM works fine for me. I have zero complaints with it. But others have issues and use wicd instead. To each his own, I suppose.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions