Installing Pan question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing Pan question

Postby rivers79 on Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 am

I am wondering how to install the newsreader Pan?

I have gon to thier site with no success.

Thanks.
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Pan question

Postby rivenathos on Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 am

Have you checked Synaptic or mintInstall yet? I always have my best results when using the repositories before trying to download something from the Internet.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivers79 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:00 am

Yes I have and it worked fine.

Thanks
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 am

I realise you've been answered, but as a bit of explanation: In linux there's (usually) no need to go to a website to download and install software. There're three stages of installation in mint, and you should only try the next if the previous one failed:

1) mintInstall (Menu --> Software Manager): search for app, click install
2) synaptic (Menu --> Package Manager): search for app, "mark for installation", apply to install
3) go to the project's website e.g. wine, add their repo (search the forums for help to do this), use synaptic as in (2)

4) find an alternative app (using the above methods) which does the same/similar job. This is because these additional stages will give you the current version, but it will not be auto-updated when a new version is released, so is not recommended.
5) go to the project's website, download a "<project-name>.deb" file, which may be listed under ubuntu/debian, double-click the file to install
6) go to the project's website, download a "<project-name>.tar.gz" file, extract (right-click), follow the instructions in the README file to install
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rivers79 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions