partitions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

partitions

Postby mainstone on Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi,

4th install in 2 days... Think I'm going to get it right soon though!

I've had some display problems with a 177 update or something anyway stops me getting into the grapical part of linux (stops booting and ends up in the command stage)

I'm trying one more install (probably more to come!)

Trying to get the partition bit right in case i want to change to 64bit mint after using the 32bit (just keeping options open cos i have a Quad core)...

I've 2 hard drives (I'll call them 1 and 2 here...)
This is how it is looking so far..

swap 1Gb
ext2 /boot 256Mb

swap 1Gb
ext3 / 12Gb
ext3 //home 14Gb

I've loads more avaliable space on the drives but it will only let me make one /home mount.... freds instructions suggest maybe making 3 different data parts for speed and saftey??? How do I mount more data partitions?

Thanks,

Finn
mainstone
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: partitions

Postby dlkreations on Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Well you could always set the 3, or however many partitions you want or have like this:

/home/Pictures
/home/Documents
/home/Downloads

-or-

If there is only one user on the system you could always mount them under your username:
/home/username/Pictures
/home/username/Documents
/home/username/Downloads
Replacing username with your own of course. Also, the partition names can be whatever you want, they don't need to be named with what I put. If you're going to do everything over again, then do this while in gparted during install...

If you're going to do this after install, then you'd need to mount them or symlink once it is all said and done.

I usually make one data partition, and have different folder names for each. That way they are all seperated from your /home partition should you desire to replace your Mint OS or distribution altogether.

You can follow Fred's instructions here for further information on mounting partitions. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mainstone on Mon May 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Awesome,

Thank you... So for the moment while I'm installing, could I just have 1 /home partition and then if i want to add on to that,

/home
/home/pics
/home/videos

could I do that after the install? i.e. just leave it as un-partitioned space till I need it? not sure what symlink is!!!

Also another thought on what you said... could I...

/home

/data/Downloads
/data/Pictures
/data/Documents

... so seperating the home from the data a little? Or no point?
Last edited by mainstone on Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mainstone
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Mon May 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Yes absolutely, that would be where the mounting would come in with the link I posted. To be honest though, you really wouldn't need to place them in your /home if you do it later on. That would be where symlinking would come in, so that they mount in /home I believe.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions