partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlkreations

Re: partitions

Post by dlkreations »

Well you could always set the 3, or however many partitions you want or have like this:

/home/Pictures
/home/Documents
/home/Downloads

-or-

If there is only one user on the system you could always mount them under your username:
/home/username/Pictures
/home/username/Documents
/home/username/Downloads
Replacing username with your own of course. Also, the partition names can be whatever you want, they don't need to be named with what I put. If you're going to do everything over again, then do this while in gparted during install...

If you're going to do this after install, then you'd need to mount them or symlink once it is all said and done.

I usually make one data partition, and have different folder names for each. That way they are all seperated from your /home partition should you desire to replace your Mint OS or distribution altogether.

You can follow Fred's instructions here for further information on mounting partitions. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Re: partitions

Post by dlkreations »

Yes absolutely, that would be where the mounting would come in with the link I posted. To be honest though, you really wouldn't need to place them in your /home if you do it later on. That would be where symlinking would come in, so that they mount in /home I believe.

Return to “Beginner Questions”